Monday, November 17, 2008

Wearing black to weddings.

My knowledge on traditions is pretty limited but I do know for sure that black and white are (or were) the colours banned on guests in weddings. Black is classified as a no-no by Chinese tradition because it's associated with bad luck, depression and sadness. White is also a no-no simply because the colour white belongs to the bride and the bride alone on her wedding day. Wearing white would be like upstaging the bride, which equals to disrespectful.

I attended two weddings of my childhood friends in the past one month. One trend I noticed was increasing was people wearing black to church ceremonies and dinners. I guess the modern mindset is taking over. As long as...
(1) they turn up for the wedding,
(2) look good and presentable
(3) there's angpow.

But wearing white to weddings is still a no go :)

I wore a dress I bought from Treats, Midvalley branch. It was grey. Nearly black. Haha. I still don't dare to venture to wearing black dress to wedding dinners, although the little black dress can never go wrong and makes one look very classy. But all black is quite boring leh. And for the fear of offending the parents and grandparents. Friends sure won't mind but their parents, you don't know.

But hey... There're so many other colours out there, why not wear them instead?

1 comment: