Saturday, February 2, 2008

Korean Boybands

Yes, my latest distraction and craze - sigh - Korean boybands. Si lor. Supposed to be concentrating on my work right? Now how? Got distraction. I have a freaking 4000-word literature review due in two weeks!! Bleh, seriously I am in no mood to touch any asses assignments. Chinese New Year coming leh! Anyone started their literature review yet? Oh wait WAIT. Don't tell me. I might get depressed.

Anyway, I found that this place is a very good outlet to vent all my thoughts, anger, frustrations, annoyances, distractions, et cetera, where after I would feel a lot more calmed and less distracted. Haha. Somewhat.

So to warn you all, the remainder of this post will most likely be all about Korean boybands - or more specifically Super Junior (SuJu) and TVXQ (Dong Bang Shin Ki). So if you tak boleh tahan, jangan baca. Nah, sudah bagi warning dulu ya.

Initially, I liked SuJu's KyuHyun because of the duet video with Charice Pempengco. I was watching it for her, and incidentally I took a liking to him. After watching several shows though with SuJu in it like Star King, Full House, Explorers of the Human Body, Yashin Manman, their performances, and possibly others that I can't recall, I find myself liking the group as a whole. No doubt this is the hugest boyband there is - they are 13 members in all! Which is more than twice the size of the typical 3-5 members we see!! The most alarmingly hugest band around if I'm not mistaken. I haven't seen any group bigger than 7 members (S Club 7).

These 13 members are a complete chaos. Which is their charm. Seriously. You'd think one member missing won't do much of a difference. But you actually do notice the difference. The only time you won't notice much (but you still will) is during their performances, because of their constant movements and re-shuffling of positions. These people don't even need extras or backup dancers.

Of the 13, my most favourite members with regards to singing:
- KyuHyun. I love KyuHyun's voice because I think it has an incredibly beautiful, soft, sweet tone to it but it's strong at the same time. Boleh melt the hearts of girls. Some more he's good looking.
- RyeoWook, who on the other hand, sings really good in live performances, his voice and pronunciation is very clear. He's got probably the strongest vocals among all. And he's so innocently cute. He is a good actor as well. His performance in Attack of the Pin-Up Boys surprised me. He played the comedic and geeky sidekick to perfection.


KyuHyun

Of the 13, my most favourite personalities of the group, i.e. fun to watch on entertainment shows:
- ShinDong. He is chubby. And so hug-able. And such a good sport.
- HeeChul. This guy has one of the quickest wit I've ever seen. He can tikam lidah with the MC until the MC had no comeback for him. I didn't like him at first because he really has a mulut laser (he says anything that's on his mind whether you like it or not). But after a while, he grew on me. He is the most entertaining IMHO. And also the most cheeky.
- KangIn, because he has the charms, is a practical joker and seriously, a big flirt.


Ohhh.. isn't she he the prettiest one?

One major strength of SuJu has to be their dancing and choreography. They may not be the best group vocalist around, but hell, their performances are among the best. Their dance moves are not easy and so very energetic. Best dancers are:
- EunHyuk, the one everyone loves to bully. Who is also my favourite rapper, besides ShinDong and KiBum.
- HanKyung, the only Chinese member in the group. He also has the gentlest and sweetest personality. And his heart is really pure. Just watch him talk about his parents, it will just melt your hearts because you can see he truly loves his parents.
- DongHae, whom somehow I think slightly underrated. I would consider him quite an all-rounder in the group. One of the better singers and better dancers in the group. And he raps quite well.

I think because they have so many people in a group that they really have diversity and variety. In one album (or almost every song), they fuse R&B + Classical + Rock + Rap + Dance. Somehow and in some way they managed to pull it off.


KiBum

Most photogenic, i.e. looks best on cameras? KiBum, SiWon and HanKyung. Just so happen all three of them are also established actors. KiBum's acting is quite good, better than what I had expected. The fourth part of Ya Shin Man Man's episode with KiBum and EunHyuk in it is one of my favourites (click for video where KiBum was asked about his role in a relationship - whether he is the one leading or the shy one - to which he replied that he changes depending on the girl - after which he was ask to act out with EunHyuk acting as the girlfriend.

If you wanna see a bit of SiWon and HanKyung's acting, you can see it in this music video - Timeless by Jang Ri In ft Xiah Junsu. No lines, no dialogues, just purely action and expression. I think it's a mini-movie masterpiece (OK I'm exaggerating). Sayang the video to bits. Hmmm, KyuHyun is also quite camera-genic actually. But haven't seen him acting much besides the MiniDrama series they did before the April 19th accident.


Aiyer... Why ChangMin no wear socks one??

But when it comes to SuJu and TVXQ, I would say SuJu is the performing group and TVXQ is the vocal group. I admit the first time I heard TVXQ sang live (on youtube lah, not their concert.. By the time I started liking TVXQ they already had their concert in Malaysia), it was the song entitled "One" which brought tears to my eyes literally because I have never heard anything as beautiful as that. And I've never heard better voices and better harmony than they. And they freaking blend in with each other so excellently.. perfect, if I must say. Their A Capella? Really, really impressive. I am not exaggerating.

Yes I know I'm slow. The whole world already heard their songs and became fans since hundred years ago, and this girl in Sri Petaling baru only dengar :P And when the world has progressed to listening their Japanese songs while I'm still looking through their Korean songs from last century. Haha.

And aiyoh, JaeJoong and KyuHyun's complexions are way better than mine man.. Envy-nya. I so paiseh.. let me go bury my face in the mud.


The first time I saw JaeJoong's face on TV, I thought he was so pretty (or even prettier than girl), but after a while of looking I find him more of a good looking guy than pretty boy.

When one watched the episodes of EHB with TVXQ vs SuJu, one can't help but notice that one side is a bunch of the cool men [TVXQ] and the other has a bunch of goofy guys and pranksters [SuJu]. And SuJu Brotherhood is apparent between both teams but they show it in ways which are starkingly contrasting. On one side, TVXQ are incredibly supportive of others, while the SuJu members are completely pulling each other's legs and cucuk-ing each other every minute.

Haven't watch much shows with TVXQ in it because I don't know what shows they've been on. I heard (from Phaik Ee) that they're really funny. Great sense of humour plus good looks plus great voices.. what more can you ask for? Will watch more TVXQ random videos later on after my assignment is gone.

Oh drat. Assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment